This Day – Now – Today
“Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ as you read this article. May He give us understanding.”
Every day is important! God is at work this day. If our arch enemy can get our eyes off of today and keep us focused on tomorrow, then he can easily blind us to what God is doing today. We should plan for the future, but we should never lose sight of today. Today is eternally important. Are we too busy to see what God is doing right now?
This Day: Psalms 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Now: 2 Corinthians 6:1-2 We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace* of God in vain. (2) For He says: "IN AN ACCEPTABLE TIME I HAVE HEARD YOU, AND IN THE DAY OF SALVATION I HAVE HELPED YOU." Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (The bold print is from Isaiah 49:8)
(*Grace is the empowering presence of God enabling us to be who God created us to be.)
Isaiah 49 describes partnering with God: (Applications: Isaiah, Jesus Christ, Israel, Me and You.)
- Isaiah 49:5-9 "And now the LORD says, Who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant, To bring Jacob back to Him, So that Israel is gathered to Him (For I shall be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, And My God shall be My strength), (6) Indeed He says, 'It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob, And to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, That You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth.' ………. (8) Thus says the LORD: "In an acceptable time I have heard You, And in the day of salvation I have helped You; I will preserve You and give You As a covenant to the people, To restore the earth, To cause them to inherit the desolate heritages; (9) That You may say to the prisoners, 'Go forth,' To those who are in darkness, 'Show yourselves………(Read again 2 Corinthians 6:1-2)
Today: Psalms 95:1-8 Oh come, let us sing to the LORD! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. (2) Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms. (3) For the LORD is the great God, And the great King above all gods. (4) In His hand are the deep places of the earth; The heights of the hills are His also. (5) The sea is His, for He made it; And His hands formed the dry land. (6) Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. (7) For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture, And the sheep of His hand. Today, if you will hear His voice: (8) "Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion, As in the day of trial in the wilderness,
- Hebrews 3:12-15 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; (13) but exhort one another daily, while it is called "TODAY," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. (14) For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, (15) while it is said: "TODAY, IF YOU WILL HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS IN THE REBELLION."
Today (Now, This Moment) is what is important!
Matthew 6:25-34 (25) "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? ….. (33) But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (34) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow (today is the emphasis), for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:9-13 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven (present tense – He is the I AM), Hallowed be (present tense) Your name. (10) Your kingdom come (now, today). Your will be done On earth as it is (present tense) in heaven. (11) Give us this day our daily bread (what we need today to do kingdom work). (12) And forgive us our debts (our failures), As we forgive our debtors. (13) And do not lead us into temptation (of pride), But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is (present tense) the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Luke 9:23-24 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross (die to self) daily, and follow Me. (24) For whoever desires to save his life (live for self) will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.
- Luke 14:27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
Psalms 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation!
Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU."
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you."
What about the future? How do we prepare?
James 4:13-17 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; (14) whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. (15) Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." (16) But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. (17) Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
- 1 John 5:14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
The important question: What is God doing in and through me now, today?
Keep focused on what God is doing today. The car repair is not the focus; the mechanic is. The house and/or land purchase is not the focus; the Realtor is. The merchandise we want is not the focus; the sales people and the other customers in the store are. The game/movie we attend is not the focus; the people are. People are eternal beings. We are the light of the world. Let it shine. The two great commands are 1.) Love God AND 2.) Love People. This is our focus.
TODAY. Be people conscious at all times! This is how Jesus walked.
“Being fully present in the now is perhaps the premier skill of the spiritual life.” Brennan Manning
The path of life is found in His presence.
- Psalms 16:11 You will show me the path of life; In Your presence (This day, Now, Today) is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
- Psalms 90:16-17 Let Your work appear to Your servants, And Your glory to their children. (17) And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us, (This day, Now, Today) And establish the work of our hands for us; Yes, establish the work of our hands. (His working through us.)
Jesus lived in the presence of the Father and did His work.
- John 4:34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.
- John 20:21-22 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." (22) And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.
We are Ambassadors for Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God.
Ambassador: A minister of the highest rank employed by one prince or state, at the court of another, to manage the public concerns of his own prince or state, and representing the power and dignity of his sovereign.
Reconcile: To call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated.
(Read this verse in the context of 2 Corinthians 5:17-21)
Living in the presence of God is to be people conscious.
TODAY. Be people conscious at all times! This is how Jesus walked. Be an ambassador.
- Psalms 143:10 Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God……..
- Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ……..
For Coaches of the Significant life: One of our objectives as a significant life coach is to help our coachee understand the importance of every moment. At any moment we can be in contact with another one of God’s creations. That person is important to God. He created them to partner with Him. Be aware of how God might want to use you to touch them.