NOTE: This appeal is endorsed by T. D. Hall, Olen Griffing, Doug White and Jim Hodges, seasoned saints with excellent track records. They advise pastors and leaders and have a combined ministry of over 230 years.
An Appeal to Senior Saints
I see a mighty army of Senior, Mature Saints who will choose to become spiritual fathers and mothers to the next generation. These Mature Saints see the latter years of their life as the best years of their life. They have within them the wisdom that comes from experiencing life. The older they get the more they understand how God has been working in, through and around them all their life. This experience and understanding can be put to good use by coaching the next generation into following Christ with all their heart. These Mature Saints will raise up might warriors for the Kingdom of God.
Our ceiling should become the next generation’s foundation. May the next generation build on what Senior, Mature Saints have learned. Let the Senior generation see themselves as a mighty army and not as a people desiring to live the easy life because they have worked hard and now deserve a rest. Retirement is not part of God’s Kingdom plan. However, retirement from secular employment opens the door to have time to invest in the next generation.
Ezekiel 37:1-14 is the story of the valley of dry bones that becomes a mighty army of God. These bones said of themselves “Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!” They had no Vision. When God puts His Spirit upon them, they see themselves as His mighty army. Far too many Senior, Mature Saints feel like the dry bones felt. They see themselves as having little to offer. They have no Vision. Often the church adds to this dry bones feeling by only offering Senior outings and nights for fun and games. It is time for the church to utilize these great saints of God. It is time to have a Vision of God putting His Spirit on them. It is time for this mighty army to arise.
The last great prophecy of the Old Testament says:
- Malachi 4:5-6 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD. (6) And he will turn The hearts of the fathers to the children, And the hearts of the children to their fathers, Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.
There is a great need in the church today for fathers and mothers in the house of God who will help train the next generation.
- Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother;
I believe the Senior Generation can coach the next generation into a generation that will change this world. The next generation is waiting.
A call to action:
- Psalms 71:17-18 O God, You have taught me from my youth; and to this day I declare Your wondrous works. (18) Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come.
Senior Saint, you have labored long and hard. You have been faithful. And now you are headed for the finish line. Before you cross the line, hand off your baton to the next generation. Become a Significant Life Coach.
- Hebrews 12:1 …. run with endurance the race that is set before us,
And because of you may the next generation run as champions!
“Father, help me be faithful to declare Your strength and Your power to the next generation. Help me FINISH STRONG."
More Scriptures challenging Senior Saints to Finish Strong:
- Psalms 78:2-4 I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, (3) Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us. (4) We will not hide them from their children, Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
- Psalms 79:13 So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture, Will give You thanks forever; We will show forth Your praise to all generations.
- Psalms 92:13-15 Those who are planted in the house of the LORD Shall flourish in the courts of our God. (14) They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing, (15) To declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.
- Psalms 102:18, 28 This will be written for the generation to come, That a people yet to be created may praise the LORD. ……… (28) The children of Your servants will continue, And their descendants will be established before You.
- Psalms 145:3-4 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; And His greatness is unsearchable. (4) One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.
It is time for a Senior Generation to arise and take their rightful place in the Kingdom of God as mentors and coaches for the next generations. Can you see it? – A great and mighty army of Senior Saints discipling the next generations!